Thursday 2 September 2010

Fly me to the moon

"You only get one shot kid. Just one."


As I lined up the target, my finger quite literally on the trigger, and I took that final  breath that would serve me through the hit those words came back to me.
Close your eyes. Breathe. And do it.


So I took the shot.


Before I left my last job I spent the summer as the fly killing king. My badminton racquet was my weapon. My panacea the tink of the connection between string and fly, then head going one way, body in the opposite direction. On those hot, sweaty days when the air seems to pool around you and the flies are buzzing, on those days I was a king. Making double figures most days, easy.

My signature move was the lateral aerial bisecting shot (LAB for short). Man, I could pull off a LAB with a flick of my wrist, and boom, seventh heaven. Seeing the body fly, in two directions. And sometimes the added bonus; the cry of a desk mate - "I felt wet splash on me!"

Now that I work from home I don't quite have the room to swing and pull off a LAB any longer. I've had to get more sophisticated. I've had to invest in my armoury.

Introducing....the http://www.amazingflygun.com/

This thing is fabulous. Okay, if you use the string to hold the projectile to the gun then it has a tendency to swing back and whack you in the balls, but it's fab nonetheless! Not for me the random wavings of a piece of sports equipment, instead I hunt, and I go for the kill.

And did I make the hit?

Of course I did.

That fragment of fruit cake, with the current in - never moved a millimetre after I was done.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I remember it well. The trouble is, you went in to kill those flies with no clear exit strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's up there in my Top 5 of things at UDEX

    ReplyDelete