Sunday 15 November 2009

Names

I'm not very good with names. Remembering them, associating them with faces. Five seconds after hearing a name, it's gone. A trait I think share with lots of people.

There's Brazilian lady who lives in my street. I've walked into town with her a couple of times - we happened to be going the same way. We've chatted. I learned she wasn't Spanish. Or Portuguese.

I still don't know her name. Though she did tell me when we first met. But then, five seconds later, off it went.
The second time we met she did this thing - "It's James, isn't it?"
Cool and calm as you like. It was slick. For some reason I can't bring myself to do that. It doesn't help that I don't even have the vaguest of inklings of what her name is.

But I do know her kid's name - it's Ethan. I know this because every time I see the two of them together she mentions it - keep away from the kerb Ethan, don't run Ethan.

Ethan's no help. Just calls her Mummy.

So now when I see her I ask her how Ethan is. Just to prove that yes, I was listening the first time we met.

She's going to be really freaked out come Christmas card time

2 comments:

  1. Thats really funny... cos there's a woman in my street that I talk to often... even sit with on the way into town... but I simply CANNOT remember her name!!
    BUT... I know her sons name is Sam...
    She spends half her life screaming it down the street!! Ha ha...

    Re the christmas cards...
    Just do as I do... and dont put any names on the front... then put "Best wishes from all at number 16" inside :-)

    (And if you comment on this that you don't live at number 16... I'll give you a clout!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I'm number 17 - so almost there.

    The worst card I got was from John and Angela. That's all it said. No postmark so must have been from a neighbour. But who?

    No idea at all, and they never got a card 'cause I didn't have a clue. They probably ignore me over that, but I'll never know

    ReplyDelete