Sunday 10 January 2010

Avatar - the movie

This was great. I loved it.
So what if it was a basic story that's been done a hundred times before. So what if the bad guys might as well have been running around with swastikas and kicking puppies.

It was a basic story, done well.
The visuals are stunning.
I was impressed by the whiteness of some of the marine's whites.
The music was atmospheric, though strangely familiar. I left the theatre humming "My heart will go on"...

My only criticisms were:

  • The 3D - not really sure what it added (aside from 30% colour loss)
  • The IMAX at the Cardiff Bay Odeon is too small to be a real IMAX screen. It's a fake IMAX. It might have the super high resolution of an IMAX but you don't sit right up close and you don't have to move your head to see everything like in a real IMAX.
Though the highlight of the evening had to be the drunk man on the train who spent the whole journey chatting up a student maths teacher. With real verve and wit he moved on to the tricky subject of personal relationships, because what's the point in the chat up if she's taken?

"Do you ever have trouble getting boyfriends?" he said.
"I've got a girlfriend," she said. 

It took him a while to work this out, and the his jaw hit his chest. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so gonna try that one!!
    (The maths teacher, not the film!)

    ReplyDelete